Last night I discussed Honeymoon Hot Spots with my October Bride, Casie for her and her fiance to go to after their wedding. Since most couples are busy getting ready for their weddings, they sometimes forget how much planning goes into honeymoon accommodations! I thought I would shed some advice on packing tips, things you might need to bring and stylish travel outfits, which can help strategize on what travel bride you are and how to pack and dress for summer travel accordingly. See something you like? Comment on the page for specific item details!
Simply follow this checklist of both major and easy-to-overlook essentials for an experience as lovely as when you both said, "I do."
Remember Your Travel Documents and Money.
If you’re going to forget something, forget your favorite watch, your socks you bought special for the trip or your iPod – you can still enjoy yourself without them. But do not, under any circumstances, forget any of the following:
- Passport: You’ll need this to get out of the country! Cover it up with a stylish passport case for safe keeping and to make it easier to find.
- Driver’s License/Photo I.D.: You’ll need this to get on the airplane and proving that you are the one who reserved the week at that luxe resort or glamping hotspot. Very necessary and easily stowed in a travel wallet.
- Tickets: Can’t get on the plane without them! Granted, you can often get by with just your photo I.D. at the airport, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Tuck that boarding pass away in a safe case, too.
And while you can always contact someone or do some online searches to recover important information, you should also bring along:
- Copies of Receipts and Reservations: Print them all out and load a .PDF file to your tablet to avoid any frustrating run-ins with the customer service counter.
- A Contact List: Prepare a list just in case you misplace your cell phone.
What Will You Wear?
Showing up with seven trunks full of your entire wardrobe is not going to cut it. However, unless you’re backpacking across Europe, you at least have room for a few options. Break down your clothing into categories to avoid over-packing or showing up with 11 tops, one pair of pants and a complete lack of underwear:
- Your Undergarments: Bras. Undershirts. Underwear. Boxers. Socks.
- Daywear: Pack light with mix-and-match items for a ton of outfit options without the heavy suitcase.
- Dressed-Up Nightwear: Throw in an all-black outfit and a pair of dress shoes, just in case.
- Footwear: Pack the two pairs you can’t live without. Add some comfortable shoes for your longer excursions.
- Accessories: Sunglasses. Scarves. Belts. Jewelry.
- Special Activity Wear: Hitting the beach? Pack a few bathing suits. Hitting the ski slopes? Remember your skiwear and accessories.
- Sleepwear: For those days when you’re so tuckered out you both pass out the moment your heads hit the pillow – bring some comfy loungewear like sweats or classic pajamas. You’ll be glad you did.
- Lingerie: That comfy loungewear isn’t very romantic!
Your Destination Might Not Carry Your Personal Care Items.
Guess what? That deodorant you finally found that does everything you want without making you smell like a bowl of tropical fruit – they just might not carry that where you’re headed. Bring the following:
- Medications: Over-the-counter and prescriptions.
- Toiletries: Toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner.
- Cosmetics: Makeup and hair products.
- Grooming Appliances: Electric shaver, hair dryer and flat iron.
- Eyewear And Accessories: Glasses, contacts, cases and contact solution.
- Travel Pillow: So underrated.
Keep Yourself Entertained And Charged.
Yes, you will certainly take up a good portion of your honeymoon looking lovingly into each other’s eyes but … there’s always the extremely long airplane ride and that moment when you realize your phone battery died and you forgot to bring your charger:
- Reading Material: A paperback was never such a welcome friend.
- Electronic Devices: All of that fun stuff you use – tablet, eBook and MP3 player.
- Chargers: For each electronic item, there is an ever-important charger.
- Power Converter: Your hair dryer’s plug might not be compatible with the hotel’s electrical outlets.
- Cameras: Your friends and family will expect pictures.
- SD Cards: You might take more pictures than you ever imagined possible.
Remember your honeymoon is the vacation most precious to you, signifying the very beginning of the rest of your life with the person you love most. While the destination is set and promises a peaceful, romantic break from the real world, the mere thought of packing is putting a bit of a damper on that glowing, ethereal quality of your soon-to-be honeymoon. Congrats & Enjoy!